Saturday, June 12, 2010

Local philanthropist Bob Burke passes away.

I returned home from giving garden tours at the Applewood for the Resorts in Bloom fundraiser, logged into facebook and received the sad news from Hayley Yount Severe's post:

"I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live." -- George Bernard Shaw. DEDICATED TO BOB BURKE ... REST IN PEACE GENTLE SOUL.
Mr. Burke owned the local landmark Burke's Canoe Trips and campground, but is best known for Bob Burke's Kids, a non-profit dedicated to providing terminally ill children and their families with fun and enriching outdoor activities, holiday parties, and other events. The Disability Services and Legal Center was to present Mr. Burke with its 2010 Independent Living Legacy award on June 30th.

It's sad to lose a wonderful old-timer like him. Part of me hopes it's a "Mark Twain" scenario in which reports of his death were "greatly exaggerated".

1 comment:

Russian River Rattina said...

The Press Democrat ran an article today http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100612/ARTICLES/100619800/0/Opinion